The scientists and software developers at the CCDC create and supply the database system storing the world’s entire collection of the 3D structures of chemicals. This system is used by thousands of organisations in over 70 countries. We’re a professional organisation, established as a not-for-profit company and registered charity. Although independent, we are a University of Cambridge Partner Institute. We offer an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary in a lively and friendly organisation of around 70 staff worldwide.
Data protection and your privacy
Python Software Developer
We offer an opportunity for an experienced Python developer to join our established development teams, based in Cambridge, UK. Our friendly teams of Agile developers share responsibility for developing cross-platform scientific components, application programming interfaces, and graphical user interfaces on the browser and desktop.
You might be a graduate in Computer Science, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, or a similar numerate subject. You will have extensive experience of Python programming in a commercial environment, and you want to create solutions that have a real, tangible benefit at the cutting edge of the chemical sciences.
The CCDC is a collaborative and supportive environment through which its scientists and software developers create and supply the database system storing the world’s collection of 3D structures of chemicals. This system is used by thousands of organisations in over 70 countries. We are a professional organisation, established as a not-for-profit company and registered charity. Although independent, we are a University of Cambridge Partner Institute. We offer an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary in a highly respected and growing organisation.
We are actively seeking candidates with the following profile.
- Experience delivering and maintaining commercial-quality software built with Python
- Expertise in wrapping native code with Python
- Knowledge of, or a willingness to learn, cross-platform development for Windows, Linux and macOS operating systems
- A collaborative approach to work
- Demonstrable experience of programming in a modern object-oriented language, ideally C++, will be a distinct advantage
- An understanding of Chemistry and Crystallography is not essential but will also be an advantage
Based in central Cambridge, you will be an integral part of the team from your first day and your personal contributions will be recognised. You will help create software that you can be proud of, supporting the output of cutting-edge science from universities and research centres around the world. For further details, please see the Job Description and Person Specification. To apply for the position, please send your CV and covering letter to Petra Hales via email@example.com.
The CCDC has, for many years, served the world’s communities of academic and industrial structural scientists by producing and supplying the authoritative, comprehensive crystallographic data resource – the Cambridge Structural Database (the CSD) – and associated molecular modelling applications, such as GOLD. The CCDC has established operations in the U.S. in order to provide a more local service to our users in the Americas.
We are looking for a self-motivated Sales Executive to join our US team to support the CCDC’s growth by developing relationships with new and prospective users and securing sales within the Americas. Reporting to the Director of Business Development in the UK and overseen by the US General Manager, the Sales Executive will be responsible for the entire sales cycle, from approaching and engaging with prospects, to negotiating and closing sales.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Identify and contact prospective users, demonstrate the utility of our software in their cases and convert to user status
- Work with CCDC scientific and technical teams (in the UK and US) to effectively match CCDC solutions to customer problems
- Maintain contact with existing users, responding effectively to queries to promote account retention and renewal
- Negotiate single and multi-year license agreements with new and existing users
- Deliver presentations on CCDC software at prospective user sites and conferences
- Identify new markets for the CCDC’s database, software and services
The successful candidate will be educated to degree level or equivalent in biological or chemical science, and have excellent communication, presentation and negotiation skills. We are looking for someone with the ability to manage the full strategic sales process and with an understanding of the market in which the CCDC operates. Ideally, the candidate will be based within the Greater Boston area and be willing to undertake international travel.
For further details on this exciting opportunity, please see the full Job Description/Person Specification. To apply for the position, please send your CV and covering letter detailing what interests you about the position, to Petra Hales via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registered Charity No 800579
STRICTLY NO AGENCIES
CCDC PhD Studentships
Thank you for your interest in the CCDC. We don't have any open PhD studentships at this time, however, please check this webpage regularly as it will be updated as opportunities arise.