Join in for the 3rd Annual #CSD3DPrint Contest!
May 18, 2017
It’s that time of year again, when thoughts turn to summer conferences and how exactly to present your complicated crystal structures to a large assembly of scientists. Just in time, then, that the CCDC announces our 3rd Annual #CSD3DPrint Twitter Contest!
That’s right! We’re back again hosting this popular competition where you can submit a photo of your own 3D printed model for a chance to win fame throughout the community, and a $50 gift card to the Shapeways on-line 3D printing marketplace.
Last year’s winner Dr. Claire Murray from Diamond Light Source submitted this 3D printed model of Pd12 closed, chiral cage molecule (from CSD refcode MIRGEB). You can see all the entries across the last two years of the contest on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/hashtag/CSD3Dprint
If you are looking for inspiration of what to 3D print, take a look at our recent blog post on simple 3D printing from a crystal structure, or the associated CrystEngComm paper. We wish you the best of luck in the 2017 competition – happy 3D printing!
The complete contest rules are as follows:
- A successful tweeted entry must contain a picture of a 3D printed model of a crystal structure, designed using the program Mercury, as well as the hashtag #CSD3DPrint. The model really does need to be the property of the account owner who posts the tweet. The tweet can contain any other text, hashtags, mentions or links that the poster feels are appropriate.
- Entries containing inappropriate language will not be considered.
- Entries with no pictures, without the #CSD3DPrint hashtag, or with only links to other sites with pictures cannot be considered – so make sure you include it.
- Tweets that are "lost" due to failure to include the hashtag or misspelling of the hashtag won’t enter the competition – so make sure you include it correctly!
- Only tweets posted before or on September 22nd 2017 will enter the contest.
- New stuff, please. Last year's entries will be spotted and won’t win!
- Judging will take place by a panel of the CCDC’s expert structural chemists and the winner will be chosen by a complicated combination of the judgement of the panel and the number of engagements obtained by the entry tweets; (and once they’ve made up their collective mind, their decision is final).
- The winner will be announced on or after October 6th through our social media channels, and will be contacted by the CCDC for address details in order to receive his/her prize.
- The CCDC reserves the right to use pictures, images and text included in tweets with the #CSD3DPrint hashtag in our promotional materials in print, on-line and in presentations without further permission from the author or account owner of the tweet. We will cite and otherwise give credit to the owner of the account that generated the image, when appropriate in the context of the use.
The CCDC reserves the right to cancel the contest without warning and without compensation to individuals who have entered, but we don’t expect this to happen.