RPluto is a tool for visualising molecular crystal structures, its features include:
- A range of input file formats (CSD FDAT, SHELX and CIF formats)
- Data typed in free-format style (i.e. from file or keyboard), which may be useful for comparing current work with examples from the CSD
- Display of both molecular and packing diagrams
- Intra- and intermolecular geometric analysis
- Rendering of diagrams in wireframe or solid ball-and-stick style
- Preparation of plots for reports and publications
- Interactive method for exploration of intermolecular packing in detail, particularly H-bonded networks, and assignment of graph set notation automatically to many such patterns.
Full online documentation is also available
RPluto can be downloaded free of charge as pre-compiled executables, solely for non-commercial use as described in the Conditions of Use.
As a free service, CCDC may be unable to provide support for RPluto.
RPluto v5.26 executables have been built on the following platforms and operating systems:
- Linux - Intel compatible, kernel version 2.4.19 with GNU glibc version 3.2.3 (SuSE 8.1
- Silicon Graphics R5000, IRIX 6.5.18
- Sun SPARC, Solaris 2.6
- Sun Intel, Solaris 8
- Windows, XP and 2000
RPluto Installation Instructions (UNIX)
- Move the compressed rpluto_<platform>.tar.gz file to the directory in which you want to install the rpluto program (<directory_name>).
- Uncompress rpluto_<platform>.tar.gz using the gunzip program.
- Unpack the tar file using:
tar -xfv rpluto_<platform>.tar
- To run the program, type: <directory_name>/bin/rpluto You may want to make an alias in your .profile or .login file. Alternatively add <directory_name>/bin to your path.
- The documentation is supplied in HTML format in the directory <directory_name>/html, and may be accessed by viewing the file <directory_name>/html/index.html in your Web browser.
RPluto Installation Instructions (Windows)
- Double click on the downloaded file and follow the instructions.
Rpluto installation files can be downloaded by clicking on the appropriate link at the bottom of this page.
Please note that by clicking on the link to download the installer you are deemed to have accepted the below licence agreement, if you do not accept the licence agreement below you should not download the software.
RPluto (the "Program") is a copyright work belonging to the Cambridge
Crystallographic Data Centre ("CCDC"). In consideration of
the access to the Program granted you, you agree to download and use
the Program solely in accordance with the following terms. If the
Program is supplied to you under a licence of access agreement to the
Cambridge Structural Database System or a software licence agreement
with CCDC Software Limited, the terms of that licence shall prevail.
You are permitted to download and to use a single copy of the Program
and the documentation solely for internal research, development or
teaching purposes and for no other purpose whatsoever. Results generated
using the Program may be published, provided all such publications
include an acknowledgement of the Program. Within 14 days of
permanently discontinuing use of the Program you agree to delete all
copies of the downloaded Program from your computers and storage
You may not supply, assign, transfer or sublicense (in whole or part)
the Program to any third party as part of a commercial transaction or
for any consideration, in money, money's worth or otherwise, or free
of charge. The Program shall only be accessible to your
You may not bundle this Program together with any other software
product or products without the prior written consent of CCDC.
You may copy the Program only to the extent strictly necessary for
backup purposes. Subject thereto or as otherwise expressly permitted
by applicable law, you may not copy, reproduce, translate, adapt,
decompile, modify, reverse engineer or disassemble the Program.
You shall ensure at all times that all copies of the Programs made
by you contain the copyright notice issued by CCDC and contained
in the Program. You shall not amend or obscure this notice or
any logos or trademarks of CCDC contained in the Program.
THE PROGRAM IS SUPPLIED TO YOU WITHOUT CHARGE, AND
ACCORDINGLY YOU AGREE THAT THE PROGRAM IS PROVIDED ON AN *AS
IS* BASIS, AND NO REPRESENTATION IS MADE OR WARRANTY GIVEN,
WHETHER WITH REGARD TO THE FUNCTIONALITY OR FITNESS FOR
PURPOSE OF THE PROGRAM OR OTHERWISE, AND ALL SUCH
REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED
(BY LAW OR OTHERWISE) ARE HEREBY EXCLUDED TO THE FULLEST
EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. WITHOUT PREJUDICE TO THE FOREGOING
IN NO EVENT SHALL CCDC BE LIABLE TO YOU, IN CONTRACT, IN
TORT OR OTHERWISE, FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,
EXEMPLARY OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSS OR DAMAGE, INCLUDING,
WITHOUT LIMITATION, ADMINISTRATION COSTS, LOSS OF BUSINESS
AND GOODWILL, LOSS UNDER CURRENT AND FUTURE CONTRACTS, LOSS
OF PROFIT OR OPPORTUNITY OR FINANCIAL LOSS OF ANY KIND
ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE OF
You agree to minimise any adverse effect of downloading and using
the Program, including by keeping back up data and implementing adequate
disaster recovery procedures. Accordingly, CCDC shall be in no manner
liable for any effect which the Program may have on your data, software,
hardware or other systems or products.
No amendment, variation or discharge of these terms and conditions is
valid unless accepted in writing by both parties.
The failure of either party to exercise or enforce any rights under
these terms and conditions shall not amount to a waiver of those rights.
The illegality or invalidity of any part of these terms and conditions
shall not affect the legality or validity of the remainder of them.
These terms and conditions are not intended to confer rights on any
third party, whether pursuant to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties)
Act 1999 or otherwise, and no third party shall have any right to
enforce any provision of these terms and conditions.
The foregoing terms and conditions and any dispute in connection with
them shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law
and shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
IRIX - 1.3MB
Linux (Intel) - 0.9MB
Solaris (SPARC) - 1.1MB
Solaris (Intel) - 0.9MB
Windows - 2.6MB